Search This Blog

Friday, March 20, 2015

Easy Crochet Easter Basket - Free Pattern Friday!

Happy Friday and happy first day of Spring! :)
One of my favorite things to do this time of year is create Easter baskets for my boys. They get to choose colors and themes and I get to design it! Its a blast and always a challenge to make what they ask for. So this year, I thought I'd share the joy with you. I've designed a very simple Easter basket pattern that allows you all kinds of options. Make it one color or many! Add appliques, buttons, sequins or other crocheted pieces. The options are endless!
This year, my oldest asked for a rainbow bunny basket. So I'm going to change colors every two rows and make it a rainbow, then add little crocheted bunnies all over it. I'm hoping he likes it! My second son wants Olaf. So this white basket will soon don eyes, a carrot nose, pipe cleaner arms, and that adorable snowman mouth. I'll post pictures when I'm done!
What are you going to make? Here is the pattern to get you started....

What you'll need:
- about 350 yards of Worsted weight yarn (I used half of 2 skeins)
- I hook
- stitch marker
- Optional: wire for handle

Stitches Used:
- single crochet (sc)
-Magic circle (mc)
- half double crochet (hdc)
- slip stitch (sl st)

Notes:
This is a very versatile basket. If you want a smaller one, decrease the amount of rounds on the bottom of the basket. If you want it larger, increase the rounds. If you'd like it shorter, decrease the amount of rows on the top portion. For taller, increase the rows. Easy peasy!

Pattern:
R1: 8 hdc in mc
R2: 2 hdc in each st (16) *place stitch marker. In order to make the basket seamless, you won't be joining rows. 
R3: *2hdc in next st, hdc in next* rpt around (24)
R4:*2hdc in next st, 2 hdc in next* rpt around (32)
R5: *2hdc in next st, 3 hdc in next* rpt around (40)
R6: *2hdc in next st, 4 hdc n next* rpt around (48)
R7: *2hdc in next st, 5 hdc in next* rpt around (56)
R8: *2hdc in next st, 6 hdc in next* rpt around (64)
R9: in back loop only, hdc around (64)
R10-19: hdc around (64 st in each round)
R20: sc around (do not fasten off. Continue to handles)

Handles:
R1: sc next 6 st
R2-53: turn, sc across (6)
sk 26 st and sl st handle to other side of the basket (you should have an even number of stitches on either side of the handle)
f/o and weave in ends.

Now comes the fun part: DECORATE!! :)

I'd love to see pics of your finished baskets!




No comments:

Post a Comment